I keep a blog for both Nappanee Missionary Church and New Life Fellowship for the baby center. New Life's blog has a lot less information on it since it has been involved in the baby center for a lot less time than NMC has. So when I set it up I added a few extras to it like a world clock add-on that shows both Kenya and US times and a Kenyas headlines add-on so you could check out the latest news in Kenya. This morning when I was adding an update to NLF's blog I noticed a headline that said something like: Delta cancels direct flight from Atlanta to Nairobi. I thought that sounds like our flight! I read that article and then Googled "Delta cancels direct flight to Kenya". It came up with a bunch of articles - mainly from other countries in the world - not US. In fact I had a hard time finding any from the US. Various stories of why the flight was cancelled were printed. One of the things that seems constant though is the fact that the US Department of Homeland Security contacted the US Department of Transportation and asked them to cancel the flights indefinitely. The US is saying it is because it needs more time to look into safety issues. Other countries are saying it is because of a threat of terrorism to that flight. I even read in one of the articles that they believed the terrorists were planning to shoot down the airplane with a surface to air missile when it was landing in Nairobi. Somalian terrorists have been wreaking havoc in and around Kenya lately. It has escalated some after US Navy killed some Somali pirates who were holding a US Commercial ship captain hostage this past spring. Travelling to Kenya has always been an adventure at this time the adventure has begun before we even left home!
When I read several articles confirming that this was the flight we were supposed to be taking to Kenya, I called Jamie to ask him if he had heard anything. He said that Dan Jacobs had mentioned that Reuben Langat had flown with a team he was taking to Kenya to the Atlanta airport on Tuesday. And after arriving at the airport was told the flight had been cancelled. They were rerouted I believe on KLM and were able to continue. I'm not sure if his entire team was able to fly together on the new flight or not.
Jamie then called our travel agent Ron Yoder to ask him if he knew anything. He said he had not been notified, but thanked Jamie for calling and said he would get right to work on it!
He called Jamie later in the day and said Delta confirmed that our flight had been cancelled and that our information was sitting on someone's desk waiting to be resolved. He said we have two options: 1. Wait on them to resolve it as they are promising to honor the low price ($1,200) with the new flights. Or 2. Cancel out and book new flights ourselves. Jamie checked into pricing on several other airlines and all of them were in the $3,000 area. We decided to wait and trust Delta to reroute us!
So that is where we are - waiting and trusting God to get us to Kenya in his timing!
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment