It felt good to sleep laying down for a night. I think most of us finally got to bed at 2:30 AM. Its been a long day but we are excited to be in Kenya.
We left for Kenya at 10 AM with one piece of luggage. Maybe tomorrow is the luggage theme we keep hearing. Along the route to Nakuru there is a place to overlook the rift valley. The valley is just massive and beautiful. These little overlook spots have small vendors who try and sell you all types of African items. These overlook areas have small concrete walls lining the property so you don't fall down the side of the mountain. These walls are usually painted with advertisements or african landscape scenes. Our team did the usual picture taking barrage while leaning against the protective barrier. Imagine the shock when we noticed Dawn and Alyssa had new words written backwords across the front of their shirts. Dawn's shirt was the best as "photo" was perfectly clear The area of the wall they leaned against had just been painted.Laughing is good for the soul and Dawn and Alyssa provided us with a great start to our day. I will say the rest of our trip was uneventful unless you consider there is no curb too high, no space too small and no pedestrian too close for Kenyan drivers. There are rules of the road in Kenya but nothing like the USA. It is each vehicle for itself. We have great Kenyan drivers who we have known for years. I thank God for them as does each team member! They are always looking out for our best interest.
Arriving at the Baby Center is always fun especially for the first time. Jolinda has tried for a couple years now to have us take a tour of the facility before we get to the babies. I'm happy to report she is still batting zero trying to accomplish this.The tour maybe lasted two minutes before each person had kids in their arms. You just gravitate to these kids. They hunger for love and we are more than willing to oblige. The afternoon and evening was spent loving these kids. It was a blessing to watch our team pour themselves into each child. The highlight today was watching David get to go home with his new mom. Presilla, the Baby Center nurse, adopted David. This was a first for me and to see David's face was something I will never forget. There are times I've wondered if these kids really know what is happening to them. After today I can tell you they KNOW! David was just one big smile and he kept saying "Mommy let's go home". Tears are flowing down my face as I write this. Tears of joy. To be able to witness a portion of God's perfect plan for David is a memory that will last forever.
After supper we had a time of sharing. The question was asked "what was your first impression of the baby center or Kenya?" These are the responses:
Alyssa- seeing wild baboons and zebra up close during our ride to the center. Seeing all the children lined up along the fence holding out their arms for you to pick them up.I ran to them.
Monica- the excitement I felt pulling up to the center. I just love them all. Watching David go home was awesome.
Kelsey- how easily the children attached themselves to you.
April- the awesome job the caregivers do taking care of so many children.
Jan- the attention the kids are craving. The close bond our team has developed so quickly. Knowing Jeremy Greenlee from high school sporting events yet meeting him for the first time in Kenya!
Phyllis- individuality of each child. They are each so different. The beauty of Kenya. Team has meshed so well together. Accomodations far exceeded what she expected. Very nice.
Dawn- english writing on everything. Nairobi was very modern looking. The caregivers have a large responsibility. Overwhelming
Carl- people are everywhere even in areas that looked remote.
Ben- how nice the nationals are until they start driving!
Chuck- when comparing Kenya with Haiti it does not appear as poor as expected. The number of people Margie and I both know from college. It is a small world.
Jolinda- the babies are so valuable. To see Joy for the first time and know she was abandoned under a tree breaks my heart yet I'm thrilled she now has a chance at life.
Jamie- I never tire of coming here. The attitudes of this team are remarkable.
Brittany- She slept with her head on the table for most of the meeting but did wake up long enough to answer the question: I love seeing the babies and they love to see us everytime we come. The bonding of our team is so cool. I love it.
Today has been a great day. To witness God at work in people is one of the greatest blessings in life. NLF, you are making a difference in Kenya and I thank you for the opportunity to be a part of it.
Jamie Lengacher
Monday, June 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wish I could see this stuff happen in person! Too funny that Dawn and Alyssa got paint on their shirts. :) I'm encouraged by the reports and can't wait to hear more. I'm praying for more Divine appointments for all of you! Love you guys, keep letting the Spirit move!
ReplyDeleteDawn always the crafty one! And Lyss too.:) Now everyone is going to want a shirt like them.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've had a great adventure already just getting there. I can't imagine meeting the children for the 1st time. How awesome!! We will be praying for you contiued safety and for God's leading. Keep up those GREAT attitudes and God's Blessings will pour down upon you.
Love you and miss you,
Diane & Kala